February 25, 2011

First Casts!

I finally got a chance to try out the slip casting molds I made in the Hiroe Hanazono workshop I took earlier in the month. I haven't done a lot of slip casting, so the whole process always feels a little intimidating to me. Here are the molds full of slip, waiting to set up so I can pour it out.

Here are the first casts out of the molds! I definitely have some work to do on fine tuning my molds and forms, but I'm excited about the potential. It seems like it could be a great way to add some new more complex forms to my body of work. Now just to find the time...

P.S. Happy Birthday to me!!!!

4 comments:

Shawna ~ said...

very promising! can't wait to see what's next...

p.s. kudos to you for taking advantage of the time when your kiddos were otherwise occupied.

Unknown said...

Wow Em! They look wonderful. I can't wait to see them in person.

Unknown said...

These look great! Can't wait to see what you do with them. I love all the little details - the dotted line seams and little buttons on the rim:)

dahlhaus said...

These are great, Emily! Congrats on making the 'plunge' so to speak. Yes, it's a big learning curve, but I imagine once you sort it out it will make a big difference for you! I find it really satisfying that I can do wheel-throwing and slip-casting all in the same day. I also love that I can work on various surfaces using the same form.
All the best with it! H.